Wednesday, February 8, 2012

When the toys come alive

Image from Goodreads.com

Title: Toys
Author: James Patterson
Genre: Science Fiction
Sub-genre: Suspense, apocalyptic, future worlds
Pages: Audiobook: 6 hrs and 40 minutes, read by Matt Bomer
Published: 2011
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
ISBN: 0316097365
Reader's Annotation: What would you if everything you've ever known turned out to be a lie?
Summary: Hays Baker is an "Elite" and works for "The Agency" in the year 2061  Called to a murder scene that puzzles him to no end, he takes off after one of the bad guys. After catching him on the roof, they wrestle and fall off the building, ten stories. This fall isn't the only fall Hays would take in the next few hours and days. Briefly waking up in the hospital and heading into surgery, his life is about to be completely turned upside down and possible lose everything he's ever known
My Evaluation: I've had this audiobook for some time and I started it a while back but didn't have the time to finish it. Normally, Sci-Fi isn't my thing but I figured I'd give this book a shot because well let's face it, Matt Bomer is dreamy :) His voice makes this book all the more better. The action was fast (some of the shortest chapters I've ever heard for an audiobook) and kept me in suspense! I think that's what it more pleasurable is that it was a suspense novel taking place in the future. The only downside to this book, was listening to the audiobook, there was music at certain parts and it was rather annoying. I do find it interesting that Patterson set the book in 2061, which really isn't that far off (49 years). And yet for the stuff that happens in this book to happen, there would have to be MAJOR advances in everything. I guess that's why they call it sci-fi. I've only read one other James Patterson book, a ChicLit book, The Christmas Wedding, so this was a huge switch... I'm not quite sure I like his writing style from either book since they're completely different. I might pick up a different book of his to see.
Rating: 4.5 out of 5