Sunday, April 8, 2012

Where fact meets fiction

Title: My Name is Mary Sutter
Author: Robin Oliveira
Genre: Historical Fiction
Sub-genre: East Coast, Civil War, Medicine
Pages:  364
Published: 2010
Publisher: Viking Adult
ISBN: 0670021679
Reader's Annotation: Will Mary get what she wants and change the course of a nation's history?
Summary: Mary Sutter, a 20-something women from Albany, New York and practicing midwife, wants more for her life in then small town life. After the let down of a love and the rejection of the medical college, Mary leaves home for Washington DC and to help in the emerging Civil War. Mary's tale of triumph and loss is interwoven with that of rich historical detail of the beginnings of America's bloodiest war
My Evaluation: The story of this remarkable woman and the men and women around her who risked their lives to save the nation's soldiers are the true un-sung heroes of the Civil War. Oliveira's novel is richly researched and a tale is truly woven. However, I felt that there was something lacking... I tried to connect with Mary in her triumphs and losses but something kept me from fully doing that. I can't place my finger on what it was but it was there. Overall, though, it was a good novel and great for those who love Civil War history.
Rating:  3.5 out of 5