Thursday, May 10, 2012

Travels to China


Title: The Emperor's Tomb
Author: Steve Berry
Genre: Suspense
Sub-genre: Thriller, historical fiction, mystery
Pages:  436
Published: 2010
Publisher: Ballantine Books
ISBN: 0345505492
Series Order:  #6 (First book in the series can be found here)
Reader's Annotation: How will Cotton get out of China?
Summary: Cotton Malone is once again dragged into an international problem in order to help save China and his love, Cassiopeia Vitt. As he travels first to Belgium, then to China, he has to figure out who is on what side. Will he do it in time?
My Evaluation: I adore Berry's books, however, this one was not my favorite. While the mystery was good and I as a reader was never quiet sure who was playing who and who was working for whom, I had a hard time getting into the historical stuff. I think it is because it's Eastern history and that's not a favorite of mine. Not to mention not being able to pronounce names made it doubly challenging.
Rating:  3.8 out of 5
Readalikes:
The Crystal Skull by Manda Scott
The Solomon Effect by C.S. Graham
The Amber Room by Steve Berry