Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Stories of the Black Hand


Title: The Circus Fire: A True Story of an American Tragedy
Author: Laurie Fabiano
Genre: Historical fiction
Sub-genre: Semi-autobiographical
Pages:  410
Published: 2009
Publisher: CreateSpace
ISBN:  1442152613
Reader's Annotation: The story of a family through the 1900s into the 1980s and the role they played in Lower East Side in NYC's history
Summary: Fabiano brings to light stories form her family in Giovanna, who's family was a target of the early ancestors of the Mafia (known as The Black Hand), and how she survived to pass down her stories to the author.
My Evaluation: What an interesting book... I was not a fan of the switching time periods but it made sense. I also didn't like how many characters I had to remember and how they were related to each other. I also absolutely hated the ending. She just ended it so abruptly! The story was fascinating but some of it needed a but more flushing out...
Rating:  3.4 out of 5